ABOUT THE MINISTRY
The Ministry of National Guidance and Religious Affairs (MNGRA) was created on 28th August, 2016 by His Excellency the President of the Republic of Zambia and ratified by Parliament on 27th October, 2016. It was created to focus on facilitating the actualization of declaration of the Republic of Zambia as a Christian Nation while upholding individual person’s right to freedom of conscience, belief or religion and the realisation of National Values and Principles as contained in the preamble and Part II Article 8of the Constitution (Amendment) Act No.2 of 2016 respectively..
The mandate of the Ministry is to promote national values and actualize the declaration of Zambia as a Christian nation for social transformation and sustainable development.
In line with the Government Gazette No.836 of 2016, Vol. LII. No. 76 dated 18th November, 2016 and the Constitution Amendment Act No. 2 of 2016, the portfolio functions are as follows;
• Interdenominational Dialogue
• National Guidance
• National values, principles, and ethics
• Public Religious Celebrations
• Preservation of Christian and Religious Sites
• Religious Affairs
The Ministry’s operational structure is composed of the Office of the Minister, the Office of the Permanent Secretary and four departments. The four departments are;
• The Department of National Guidance
• The Department of Christian Affairs and Religion
• The Department of Planning and Research
• The Department of Human Resource and Administration.
In addition, there are three Units namely:
• Internal Audit.
The Ministry also has Provincial Offices in all the ten Provinces. Currently, there are no District Offices.
The Office of the Minister is responsible for the policy direction and pronouncement while the office of the Permanent Secretary is responsible for the overall strategic management of the Ministry.
The Provincial Offices are responsible for implementing the programmes of the Ministry at the Provincial Level.
DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL GUIDANCE
The Department’s mandate is to spearhead and coordinate promotion/mainstreaming of National Values and Principles in order to contribute to national unity and ensure sustainable development. The mission is to spearhead the building of a harmonious, cohesive and integrated society with shared values. It is also responsible for the propagation, dissemination, interpretation, and implementation of national values and principles
• Providing strategic leadership and policy direction on matters of national guidance in the areas of national unity, good morals, social justice and good governance in order to achieve socio-cultural, economic and political transformation.
• Preparing and compiling annual reports on all measures taken and progress achieved in the realization of national values and principles as stated in article 8 of the constitution of Zambia.
• Coordinating the formulation, development and implementation of policies, strategies and plans for the promotion of National Values and Principles in liaison with stakeholders.
• Liaising with ministries, provinces and other spending agencies in mainstreaming National Values and Principles within the public service.
• Undertake public education and sensitization programmes on the rights and responsibilities of citizens in contributing to national development.
• Conducting research on National Values and Principles in order to incorporate emerging issues.
• Conducting periodic baseline surveys on the status of application of National Values and Principles in the country.
• Establishing the legal, institutional and policy frameworks for the promotion of National Values and Principles.
• Undertaking monitoring and evaluation on application of National Values and Principles programmes and their impact in the country.
• Developing guidelines for training in national values and principles to ensure technical competence and knowledge among stakeholders.
• Spearheading the identification and recognition of National Values and Principles champions.
• Partnering with the media in promotion of National Values and Principles.
• Mobilizing resources for the promotion of National Values and Principles in order to transform citizen’s lives for sustainable development.
DEPARTMENT OF CHRISTIAN AND RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS
• Christian and Religious Affairs
• Clearance of Foreign Clergy
• Coordination of religious events of a public nature in which the state has an interest
o Facilitate hosting of the National Day of Prayer, Fasting, Repentance, Forgiveness, and Reconciliation in October, each year.
o Facilitate hosting of the Commemoration of the Declaration of Zambia as a Christian Nation in December, each year.
o Participating in religious events i.e. Induction, Pastors Fellowships, Launches, and Conferences.
o Update database for Churches, and Religious Mother Bodies.
• Facilitate the mainstreaming of Christian Values in government business, education, family, media, arts and entertainment, and
• Mainstreaming of Christian Values in;
• Government and Quasi-Government Institutions
• Learning Institutions
• Media, Arts, and Entertainment, and
• Collaborate with the National Heritage Commission on the preservation of Christian and Religious Sites
• Identifying, documenting, maintaining and rehabilitating of Christian and Religious Sites.
• Updated Database for Christian and Religious Sites.
• Coordination of Partnership with faith-based organizations in implementing development programmes and social services
• Meeting with stakeholders to establish areas of collaboration.
• Meeting on possible cooperation with the Correction Services
• Establishing joint ventures with stakeholders
• Workshop for media personnel
• Sensitization of Civic and Traditional Leaders
• Promote and inculcation of National Values, Principles and ethics
• Religious policy and dialogue
• Preservation of Christian and Religious sites
• Public religious celebrations
• Christian affairs
• Church, Religious and Faith Based Organisation Empowerment